The Vampire Diaries is romantic, funny, surprising and, at times, quite scary. Here’s a list of my top 5 scary moments from Season One which is will be available on DVD and Blu-ray this Tuesday.
5. “The Pilot” – Vampire Diaries opens with a fairly predictable bang that’s still pretty scary. A couple is driving down a foggy road. They hit a man. The man goes out to investigate and becomes an appetizer. When the girl get’s out, it’s typical horror movie fodder as she nervously looks for her missing mate then wham, she’s yanked out of frame and becomes the first course. Good stuff.
4. “Haunted” – it’s very fitting that one of the big vampa-palooza scenes plays out during a Halloween party. Vicki is the vampire and she’s out for blood, literally, when she meets up with Jeremy in the parking lot. She brings all new meaning to the term “necking” then goes after Elena and takes a bite out of her, too. Finally, Stefan intervenes, shoving a stake right through her and. . . remember to breathe. They do don’t this kind of action all that often but when they do, it’s really something.
3. “Miss Mystic Falls” – At the end of the episode, Stefan’s bloodlust gets the best of him and he decides to take Amber out for a bite of dinner. He’ll be doing the biting, she’ll be dinner. These scenes are particularly scary because Stefan is one psycho vamp! The way his anger flares, and when he tells her to be afraid then chases her. . .who knew sweet Stefan could be so scary!
2. “The Turning Point” – a the end of the episode, Elena is fleeing Stefan’s (after finding a photo of Katherine) when she drives her car right into a shadowy figure on the road. Her car flips, then we see, from her upside down point of view, the “victim” unfold himself, straighten up and come right for her! Creepy to the max.
1. “The Night of the Comet” – the opener on this one is my favorite scare because it has so many of the elements from famous urban legends. It starts with a couple making out in a tent. The boyfriend steps outside for a moment and oh, is that rain I hear? Nope, it’s the drip, drip, drip of a bloody body hanging in the tree over the tent. The girl makes a run for it, through the woods and back to the car when. . . oops. No keys. She frantically tries to yank open the door anyway when someone decides to help her out by opening the car remotely. Never ever has the chirp of a car alarm been so creepy.
Want to relive these and all the best moment from The Vampire Diaries? Then pick up The Vampire Diaries: The Complete First Season or Blu-ray, this Tuesday. It’s loaded with special features including a blooper reel and a look at how the series was cast. There’s even an audio book download that you can put on your iPod.
Now it’s your turn. What’s your favorite scary Vampire Diaries moment?
I have been hired by Warner Bros WBWord division to raise awareness for The Vampire Diaries: The Complete First Season – which arrives on Blu-ray/DVD on August 31. Pre-order your copy, and receive free digital extras at http://bit.ly/9LSaVp !
“Haunted” – Nina Dobrev as Elena, Kayla Ewell as Vicki in THE VAMPIRE DIARIES on The CW. Photo: Quantrell Colbert/The CW ©2009 The CW Network, LLC. All Rights Reserved.